Longarm Learning Curve


My First post

Why start a blog?

I'm a Longarm Quilter. I love drawing and painting too. Photography is a passion and I've been lucky enough to be a professional wedding photographer. I've been a part of the most incredible and beautiful weddings. Wedding photography is a dream job with the most amazing "in the moment" moments! 

So, creativity is something that I enjoy being in and surrounded by every day. I absolutely love working with our customers and genuinely get a huge kick out of helping them achieve their own creative potential. 

For my own work, it's not possible or always appropriate for me to post quilting stuff that I'm working on. However, I'd like to share some of my projects, things I'm working through as a quilter, new products that aren't necessarily things we sell but I want to share and personal projects that I'm working on both as a quilter and an artist.

So, this blog is about some of the things that are of interest to me as I progress along my own personal Longarm Learning Curve.  

We'll see how it progresses. No goals, no aims. 

Just this.

Who am I?
I'm Liz Holpin. I run a business with my husband, Pete, called Pinhole Quilting.

Setting up on the set of a Live TV show to demo a Longarm Quilting machine
 

Pinhole Quilting isn't a style of quilting, it's just a play on words of our last name - Holpin. Our first business is in photography so Pinhole Images was a great name for that. Pinhole Quilting seemed like a good name for our longarm quilting business.

Quilting Passions
I absolutely LOVE thread. It's my paint box. It provides a rainbow of colour, texture and line that can be twisted and morphed, layered and stitched to create. 

Creating something like this Dream Big panel gives me the opportunity to play with the huge range of Glide threads that we stock. One of the memorable moments for me was getting in the first Glide 1000m thread rack into our front room when we'd just started the business - Christmas!!!

Dream Big Neon


Gorgeous 1000m cones of Glide thread


And now it's in our Showroom together with the whole range of 5000m Glide - Christmas, New Year and my birthday all together!

A small selection of the 5000m Glide threads! 




I discovered Glide thread on a trip to Houston Quilt Festival in 2013 thanks to Filtec (also known as Hab and Dash) putting a sample of their Glide thread in the goody bag for the workshop I took on machine quilting with Kimmy Brunner.  This was my Facebook post at the time. I can tell I was psyched from the class from my comment at the time!




I loved the Glide thread we had used in class so we met with Filtec at the show and before we knew it we were selling their thread and people were loving it too! 

Kimmy taught such a great Feathers workshop. I knew our Longarm customers would really enjoy it so at the end of class I asked Kimmy if she would be interested in coming over to the UK to teach for us. She said "Yes" or was it "Heck YES!!!" and since then Kimmy's been over to teach with me several times. Always FAB-U-LOUS! Always FUN!!

So, now when I need to pick some threads for my projects I get to choose from all these - just a small shortlist for this audition session.
 

So this post serves as a short introduction to my new blog. 

Let's quilt!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Glide Thread 40wt and 60wt - It's our Favourite! Find out why.

How a stitch is formed. Understand skipping stitches and shredding on a longarm machine.

Longarm Classes with Handi Quilter Ambassador Telene Jeffrey